“To invest successfully over a lifetime does not require a stratospheric IQ, unusual business insights or inside information. What’s needed is a sound intellectual framework for making decisions and the ability to keep emotions from corroding that framework.”
-Warren Buffett, Preface to The Intelligent Investor
Granite Value Capital is an independent Registered Investment Advisor that provides investment management, financial planning and wealth management services. The firm was founded in 2009 and is based in Hanover, New Hampshire. We serve high net worth individuals throughout the United States. We practice a disciplined, patient and long-term time approach to managing assets to help our clients achieve their goals and investment objectives.
We believe our five Governing Principles distinguishes us from most other investment advisors:
We treat our clients the way we would want to be treated if our roles were reversed.
- We have a fiduciary duty to our clients. We will always do what is in the best interest of our clients.
- We are privately owned and do not have the potential conflict of interest associated with maximizing profits at the expense of our clients.
We invest our clients’ money as if it were our own.
- Granite Value Capital’s employees own the same stocks as our clients. We will not invest our clients’ into an investment that we would not put in our own accounts.
- This ‘eat our own cooking’ mentality aligns the interests of our clients with the employees of Granite Value Capital.
We adhere to the value based investment philosophy set forth by Ben Graham and Warren Buffett.
- Most successful long-term investment managers follow a value based philosophy.
- We view each stock purchase as if we were buying a business.
- We avoid style box investing and closet indexing. We concentrate our investments in our best ideas and own around 40 stocks.
We communicate with our clients in an honest and candid manner.
- We send informative and detailed quarterly letters to our clients.
- We periodically call our clients and conduct comprehensive annual meetings.
- We believe a well informed client results in a superior client-adviser relationship.
We will limit the amount of assets under management (AUM).
- In lieu of maximizing profits, we will limit the amount of AUM to $250 million in equities. We think keeping our firm small is in the best interest of our clients.
As a fiduciary, we provide independent, unbiased advice.